Micronit Microfluidics BV designs, develops and sells lab-on-a-chip products to academic and industrial customers all over the world. Micronit focusses on the total development process of the microfluidic devices, from design to high-volume manufacturing. Design and testing of the products is done within the Research & Development department. The products are manufactured in a high-tech cleanroom facility on the University of Twente campus.
Micronit is a dynamic and innovative company, founded more than a decade ago as a spin-off of the University of Twente. The company is fast-growing with around 50 enthusiastic and dedicated employees. The culture is informal, but hard-working. More information can be found on www.micronit.com.
Experienced Researcher (Industrial Postdoc)
Micronit Microfluidics (The Netherlands) is seeking to fill the position of an Experienced Researcher (Industrial Postdoc) in the frame of a Marie Curie Initrial Training Network (ITN): ‘label free particles sorting’ (LAPASO).
LAPASO is an Initial Training Network that is funded by the European Union through FP7. It focuses on label-free particle sorting in microfluidic devices based on the inherent properties of, e.g., cells, microorganisms and organelles, with the overarching scientific objective to advance diagnostics in bacteriology, oncology and parasitology using advanced microfluidics and nanobiotechnology integration. Microfluidic particle fractionation based on the inherent properties of particles offers significant improvements over conventional techniques in terms of ease of handling and usage, speed, and reductions in cost.
LAPASO brings together 15 partners from Europe and Africa in a highly interdisciplinary and intersectorial environment. Three leading experimental groups will provide the technological development of microfluidic label-free sorting based on dielectrophoresis (DEP), deterministic lateral displacement (DLD) and acoustophoresis with strong support from leading theorists. The technology will be used to address key medical questions defined by our biomedical collaborators and partners in parasitology, bacteriology and oncology. To ensure an efficient transfer of knowledge across disciplines and across sectors the work will take place in close collaboration through frequent ESR/ER exchange between the partners. Through the strong interdisciplinary and intersectorial character of the network, the ESR and ER will receive a uniquely comprehensive training above what a traditional postgraduate training would offer that in turn gives them a strong competitive advantage in both academia and industry.
Within this network Micronit offers the position of an Experienced Researcher (industrial Postdoc) to work on an individual project on industrialization of microfluidic devices for label-free particles sorting. The objective is to develop microfluidic devices that can be fabricated on an industrial scale. The definition of requirements for industrialization of the devices being developed is an important aspect of this project. The researcher will be heavily involved in the design and manufacturing of devices for particles sorting based on DLD, acoustophoresis and DEP for parasite extraction and enrichment and extraction of rare cells from blood. The researcher will benefit from the LAPASO training program provided through a number of training events as well as local training offered by Micronit.
The employment in this position should begin September 1st 2014 (start date to a certain extent negotiable), for the duration of 24 months including secondments to partner institutions. Micronit however offers the opportunity for an earlier start date, starting May 1st, giving a total employment duration of 28 months. We offer highly competitive monthly living and mobility allowances depending on family status in accordance to the PEOPLE Work Programme 2013 (European Commission C(2012)4561 of 9 July 2012) as well as full social benefits. The salary will be commensurate with a Marie-Curie ER position.
TASKS OF THE ENVISAGED PROJECT:
- Design and fabrication of microfluidic devices for label-free particles sorting based on deterministic lateral flow displacement, acoustophoresis and dielectrophoresis.
- Ensure that the final devices are amenable for mass production by defining and implementing in the designs specific requirements for industrialization.
- Doctoral degree in natural or technical sciences such as micro technology, applied physics, mechanical engineering, chemical or biomedical engineering
- Experience with microfabrication is essential
- Experience with microfluidics and/or particle sorting is considered an advantage
- At least a basic knowledge of biochemistry, biotechnology or related fields
- Good grasp of the English language, both oral and written
- Willingness to learn Dutch is considered an advantage
SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAINING NETWORKS
- Experienced Researchers must, at the time of recruitment by Micronit for the LAPASO ITN (September 1st 2014), be in possession of a doctoral degree or have at least four years of full-time equivalent research experience and have less than five years of full-time equivalent research experience. Full-Time Equivalent Research Experience is measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree which would formally entitle him or her to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited or seconded, irrespective of whether or not a doctorate is or was ever envisaged.
- Mobility: at the time of recruitment by the Micronit, researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in The Netherlands for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the reference date. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
Please send your application in English by post, or E-mail (one single pdf-file), including cover letter outlining the motivation and qualification for the project position; Curriculum vitae (CV); list of publications; copies of university degree(s) and school certificates and 2 letters of reference to
Dr. Monica BrivioMicronit Microfluidics
7546 GV Enschede
Phone: +31 53 850 6873
Mobile: +31 6 31907196
Acquisition as a result of this vacancy will not be appreciated